Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why I Have/NEED a Handmade Business - Part II

nayarts
 If you read Part I, you saw that someone made me think about my goals and I really thought about it.  And since I decided that I didn't want to be working for that company anymore.

I wanted to have my own business.  

I still needed income from somewhere.  But what could I do?  Brainstorm: I received a sewing machine as a present from my mom and mom in law.  I just finished my first sewing class and had a blast.  My husband always compliments me on my fashion.  (He always says that I dress well to other people and I hate that it puts me on the spot.  Because I am not a fashionista of the designer world, I just have my own style.)  I thought, "I can sew the raddest little dresses and it will be in boutiques."

I had given my 30 day notice without really a business plan.  (Honestly I had never heard of a business plan or a lot of things...)  But I told people that I was going to make little girl dresses.  How am I going to do this?  First things first...a business name.  It was a cinch.  PerryFinalia was my email address I made up when I got married.  A logo...my handwriting.  A graphic designer... a talented friend.  Those things fell into place easily.  But where am I going to sell this "stuff"?

I had no idea that a handmade market place was already well underway and that I was way behind.  I looked at Ebay...YUCK!  Now what?  My meeting traveling companion was talking to another coworker about my plans. "Has she heard of Etsy?"  she asked.  NO!  I hadn't but it was the most amazing thing.  It was a perfect fit for me.

Lets just say that I jumped in head first.  I have been at it for over a year now and I am either booked out a month or every week there is work for me.  There is nothing wrong with jumping into something when you still don't have your 10,000 hours in.  I am miles from where I was when I started my first 1,000 hours.  And I can't wait to experience the next 9,000.  Care to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment