Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why I Have/NEED a Handmade Business - Part I

I don't know how moms do it.  I don't know how they have the determination to hold the title mom and work full time.  Hats off to you.  Being a SAHM or a WAHM definitely is challenging and a different kind of work that shouldn't be looked at as less that is for sure.  But I know that I could not work full time, outside the house.  Shoot I couldn't even do it part time.

The economy changed. I am sure you were there too.  Life was not ideal.  With a six month old baby, my husband was laid off.  I was working 4 days a week and wasn't willing to do 5 and lose another day with my baby.  The part that really wasn't ideal and really hard on the brain is that I was working while hubby stayed home with baby.  I am the mom!  I want to be taken care of and I want to take care of MY BABY!  We had to do something.

Then there was a day that it all came together.  All the signs were there.  I was out of town at a work meeting.  A whole day I wouldn't see my baby.  She was asleep when I left and would be sleeping when I got home.  I was not happy about this.  We were engaged in a 1980's Zig Ziglar video about making goals.  The old man - televangelist for business topics had it right, we need to have goals to be happy in life.  I knew then that my goal was not to ever come to this meeting room again and not to be working for this company.

But what could I do?  On the way home from the meeting I went over the numbers.  Could we do it?  It involved moving back to our home town (Free Rent) and surviving off our remaining unemployment til hubby found work.  We could do it!  Hubby said yes...30 day notice.

What I learned from this is that living the dream isn't always dreamy.  It is a challenge to be at home and to take care of a child, and oh yeah, run a business that you want to be successful.  Not a glorified hobby.  But it also made me realize that we are in control of our lives and we CAN make changes if we see they need to be made.  Maybe the road we thought we wanted to be on turns out to be wrong.  Make a new road if you can, realizing that everything has its ups and downs.


photo credit for zig ziglar

3 comments:

  1. You inspire me every day! You are a wonderful mom with a very sweet and well behaved little girl and still have this amazing drive to be creative. Hats off to you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carlie, you are so sweet. Thanks for your comment. You are "crafty carlie". And you have mad skilz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO couldn't agree with you more! Perfectly stated! SO glad that I caught back up with you. Just LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete