Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why I Have/NEED a Handmade Business - Part III

Yes there is a part III.   And it is why I started sewing in the first place.  I have a hard time clothes shopping.  I used to be so thrilled when I was younger to enter the "GAP".  And then I grew up a bit more and experienced the luxury of its big sister, Banana Republic.  And to tell you the truth going to the GAP now bores me to death.  V-neck sweaters again this year?  Cable knit, scoop neck, really?  We are talking basics with NO ORIGINALITY.  BR is also a basic luxury which I find necessary from time to time.


When I go shopping now (which mostly happens online), I leave the house and hope to find something that really sings to me.  Something of good quality, good origin and some taste!

Good origin is hard to find unless you have $200 to spend on a top. (I don't.)   But I have become more aware of what my money is supporting.  Cheaper isn't better.  Do I want to support sweatshops in other countries?  Or should I really think about what I am supporting?  The latter is what I hope.

But here is my quandary.  Do I dress my baby in Target/Gap clothes that everyone, EVERYONE has?  Madras plaid again this year?  Please.  I wanted something more for my baby girl.  But I had no idea where to even find, DIFFERENT and BETTER.   So I said to myself," Self, you must make your own clothes for Jocelyn."  I want color, I want modern, I want ME in baby size.  This is what I wanted to accomplish.

When I took my first sewing class I was shown how easy it was to alter patterns.  I had bought a pattern for the class that was the completely wrong size for my daughter.  The instructor helped me alter it to make it work.  That was a lot of fun.   I learned so much from that class.  And it also introduced me to the miracles of a serger. You know the thing that makes clothes look professional.  Look under your shirt, see that multiple stringy goodness?  That is what a serger does.

So now I am home, I get to be with my baby and create original clothing and my Joce looks very hip and original and I share it with the world.  But there is still one more reason I have/NEED my handmade business.  A hint? Structure vs craziness!
(banana republic credit)

No comments:

Post a Comment