Sunday, February 27, 2011

On Overcoming Jealousy

I was angry. No reason to be angry. I have the life I have dreamed of (with a couple tweaks of course). But there was nothing that made me happy continually. I would have an “UP” day followed by 6 other grey days. FRUSTRATED!? Am I bi-polar? Do I need medication?


Trying to figure out happiness has been hard. From dealing with depression as a teen and seeing the effects of bi-polar on my mother I was wondering if I too was destined for medication. I tried other things to beat the blues. Vitamin D, exercise, more vitamin D. I thought about giving up coffee to see if that made me cranky...But I quickly dismissed that thought because I knew I wasn't strong enough for that. Anything better yet? Nope.

There were several realizations lately however that have me feeling more balanced. I realized that in a lot of ways I was jealous of people. And that really just brought me down. For a while I hated Facebook because it made me upset. I would see the fun and wonderful things my friends were doing and low and behold I wasn't invited or seeing the lives of others through pictures just made me long for something better than what I had. Therefore I almost refused to use Facebook even to promote my business.

Instead of being jealous about people why not just be happy for them?

Browsing successful shops on Etsy made me jealous. Allthenumbers made me jealous because of her success and I mean how cute is she? 1Crown3Tiaras made me jealous because of her success and cute clothes. But look at her profile picture, I am sure we would get along. This jealousy had to stop.

-A calm heart is the life of a fleshly organism, but jealousy is rottenness to the bones.- The Bible, Best Seller

I read the Happiness Magazine from Real Simple and really took to heart the already known adage that “Things don't make us happy.” I know this. I tell my daughter that all the time. But it is another thing to be happy for other people because of the things they have.  Money, skills, a gourmet cook husband, better car, cuter kids (deranged thinking), a house, fun parties. 


BE HAPPY FOR THEM AND EMBRACE ALL THE GOODNESS THAT YOU ARE SURROUNDED WITH IN YOUR LIFE.

Lessons I have learned:
  • Don't be jealous of others. Be happy for them. Celebrate with them. They will be there for you too to celebrate when its time.
  • Don't put energy into things or people that constantly disappoint you. (Another realization.)
  • You can learn to control negative thinking patterns and embrace the loved ones that are right in your home/life.
I can say for several weeks now I have felt at peace. I enjoy my life. I do things that make me happy and I embrace all the little things that just make life wonderful. Like Starbucks new infused cinnamon coffee. Because I am trying to become a better, wiser person I have had happiness wake up with me in the morning and it feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thank you for providing these details.



    Here is my web blog ... green coffee side effects

    ReplyDelete