Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Pattern Challenge

stephaniecorfee

It is definitely time for something new.  A new style, a new flair that is um...do-able.
I have to keep it simple, keep it do-able (fast), keep it me.

When I first started sewing it took me 2 weeks to finish one dress...TWO WEEKS!  Then when I first opened shop I figured I could make a dress a day.  A great improvement.  And then last week I had a record day.  I completed 6 dresses and had 4 more that I could have finished but I decided to be with my family instead.  10 dresses in ONE day!  No, I could not keep up this pace.  But it was pretty cool. (That same day, Jocelyn played with friends and then took a nap so I had time to charge on.  I also for the first time hit the tip of my finger with the sewing needle and nipped a finished dress while trimming strings. NOT COOL.)

Creating new a new design is very challenging.  First of all it takes a lot of knwo how to even make a pattern from scratch.  This I don't have.  I need to create something that I can finish it in 1-2 hours.  Otherwise it would be unaffordable.  A challenge?  I think so.   But I did come up with something! 

My inspiration was from my old work clothes.  When I used to work at the bank, I loved the button up dress shirts that had the little military roll up sleeve with a strap to hold it up.  I thought it was very flattering for my arm and very comfortable and a nice detail.  I have been wanting to incorporate that into a design, but haven't yet...til yesterday.

This is the first try on what I call my Frankenstein shirt.  Its the test shirt that have been through a lot.  Anyways....Don't know if you love it?  You will just wait and see.  Tell me what you think in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. I love it and love that material! I'm a button person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah buttons are yummy and they can totally make or break something. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete